Sunday, September 13, 2009


I thought I would start by showing a photo series of one of my prize pieces. This is a Hermann Göring Panzer Division NCO Panzer wrap and overseas hat. I obtained this from a collector friend ten years ago. I found the hat five years ago. Though this uniform is not of the standard cut of the traditional Heer panzer uniform, everything about this piece appears good to me. The eagle looks good, zig zag stitching is not too tight or sloppy, the sewing throughout this uniform is what I like to see - that where the thread is not too tight where in cinches up the cloth, rather the thread lays across the cloth without pulling the nap (see photos). There was once a cuff title on this uniform, but at some point it has disappeared. I would love to find a set of panzer pants and boots for this uniform. In fact, it is my goal to complete all of my uniforms to where each one can be displayed on a mannequin with boots, pants, tunic, hat, and all appropriate equipment head to toe original. Personally, I do not use any filler in my collection. I see so many collections out there that have reproduction filler items. If you do not have it, don't spend your money on a reproduction that "will do for now", instead save your money for an original. Of course, I realize that sometimes that policy is much easier said than done when dealing with extremely rare items. To each their own. Here are some detail shots of the uniform. Breast eagle is on black, zig zag stitching that does not go through the lining. Below is a close up of the collar tab. This is a shot that shows how the thread lays across the wool, instead of being so tight that it cinches the wool up. (Common among recently made re-enactor uniforms and other reproduction uniform items. The lining is of the silk/rayon style with the buckram lining underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment