Sunday, September 13, 2009

Luftwaffe Afrika / Southern Front M40 Single Decal Combat Helmet

This is a Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal Combat Helmet that was over sprayed with a desert camouflage paint scheme. The paint has worn of quite a bit to reveal much of the original Luftwaffe blue paint. While this is not the most sexy desert camo helmet I have ever seen, it is one of my favorites as it fits into my Luftwaffe ground combat collection quite well. This helmet is marked Q62 so it is a bit on the small side, however, the Luftwaffe Field Division Jacket that I display it with is a bit on the small side as well so it is a good size match for the over all display. I received this on a trade from a collector friend of mine several years ago. As time goes on, I am less and less likely to ever cut loose with this one.

Here is a photo of the revers side of helmet. Much of the desert camo paint is still present. I would say this helmet has about 30% of its desert paint still left. Perfect for an Italian campaing display.











Here is a close up of the eagle. I do believe that when the desert paint was originally applied, that the eagle was left untouched. Notice the slight pink hue to the camo paint - a color that I have seen on several other Afrika helmets.









Below is a quick photo of the forward of the helmet showing more desert camo paint.


And lastly here, is a photo of the interior of the helmet. There are some remnants of the desert camo paint on the inside rim. I do not see any evidence of the dome stamp, though I am fine with the helmet over all. The liner is in decent condition as well as the chin strap. I have had a Heer M42 camo helmet where the helmet was in good condition, but the liner was experiencing some sort of dry rotting.... got rid of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment